For those who already have Study Permit for Canada and Expiry date is approaching

If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student in order to complete your academic program, you must extend you study permit before it expires. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date.

Why do I need it?
You need to extend your study permit to maintain your student status, and continue studying and working (on and off campus) in Canada.

When do I need it?
You need to extend your study permit prior to the expiry date by applying online . It is recommended to apply for renewal at least 2-3 months before your current permit expires. If you do this you will be able to remain in Canada and continue studying and working under “maintained status”  (previously called implied status) until IRCC has made a decision with respect to your application, even if your study permit expires while you await processing.

What do I do if my Study Permit has Expired?

  • If your Study Permit expired less than 90 days ago, you must also apply to Restore Your Status when applying to renew it (this costs an additional $200 CAD). You should  contact our office or email at to further discuss any potential academic consequences and solutions.
  • If your Study Permit expired more than 90 days agoyou are required to leave Canada immediately and apply from outside of the country for a Study Permit (and TRV, if necessary).